Daniel McIntosh settled in Cayuga in 1798 where he conducted a mercantile business. He married Tabitha Harris, sister of Colonel John Harris, found of Cayuga. Descendants of Daniel and Tabitha were very active in community affairs and provided leadership and philanthropic support which continues today. Two parks; Harris Park and McIntosh Park, were donated by the family for use by Village and nearby residents.
Private events can be scheduled, however the Parks will remain open for other users. Complete the Application for Use of Community Park Facilities form and indicate which Park is being requested.
John Harris Park
Harris McIntosh (son of Hannah Catherine McIntosh) donated the land in 1980 to the Village for use as a waterfront park for the primary purpose of providing a lakeside bathing and swimming area for the children of the Village and surrounding area. The park was to be named John Harris Park after his maternal great grandfather.
The Village continues to receive annual support from the McIntosh family for the swimming program.
The Park, located off Genesee Street, is open May through October, from sunrise to sunset, for recreational activities. During the summer season, there are lifeguards on duty at the beach area. A swim program is offered for children of all ages. Picnic tables, benches and outdoor grills are available. Public restrooms are available.
There is no overnight camping. No alcoholic beverages are allowed in the park. Dogs must be on a leash and dog cleanliness is appreciated. There are “doggie bags” at the entrance of the park for your use.
John Harris Park is a Tobacco Free Park.
John E. McIntosh Ball Park
Harris McIntosh, Florence P. McIntosh and Elizabeth McIntosh Schurmeier donated the land in 1944 as a memorial to their father, John E. McIntosh. The property was to be devoted to recreational purposes of a non-commercial nature.
Today, the Park is used for soccer, T-ball, softball and baseball. Parents of young residents coach the teams.
John E. McIntosh Park is a Tobacco Free Park.
Cayuga Memorial Hall was dedicated in 1949 as a memorial to veterans of World Wars I and II. Today, it is where the winter recreation programs are held.
Memorial Hall can be rented for special occasions. The rules and application can be found on the Forms Page.
Cayuga Village Recreation Trail
Resident Carl Cuipylo has been the spirit behind the recreation trail development. A grant from NYS Department of Health entitled “Creating Healthy Places to Live, Work & Play” allowed the Village to purchase outdoor fitness equipment. Many residents assisted Carl with this project and today it provides a trail for walking, enjoying the outside and use of exercise equipment.
Many residents assisted Carl with this project and today it provides a 2.5 mile trail through the Village of Cayuga with nearly one half mile of publicly owned lakefront as well as fitness and nature loops. The trail provides lake access to canoers and kayakers. The trailhead is located at McIntosh Park in the village of Cayuga .